Find out what's inside the September 2021 edition of the Journal & download a free copy of this month's featured article
ISSA International Conference 2013 Announces Keynote Speakers Featuring Cybersecurity Luminary Eugene H. Spafford
Portland, OR – September 4, 2013 – The Information Systems Security Association (ISSA) announced today a high-profile line-up of speakers for its fourth annual ISSA International Conference (#ISSAConf) to be held October 9-10 at the Nashville Convention Center in Nashville, TN. During the conference, ISSA will also honor the winners of the 2013 ISSA International Awards. The only independent forum dedicated to advancing the development of cybersecurity professionals, their organizations and critical infrastructure worldwide, ISSA has fostered many of the industry’s most respected leaders and is driving the future of the cybersecurity profession.
The event, themed “Harmony in Cybersecurity: Motivate, Innovate, Integrate,” brings together a who’s who of the cybersecurity community to advance peer networking, individual growth, and end-user security awareness; explore new ways to approach global problems, and embrace technology and partnerships within the business. Three keynotes by diverse industry luminaries will be featured:
- Eugene H. Spafford, Executive Director of the Center for Education and Research in Information Assurance and Security (CERIAS) and Computer Sciences Professor for Purdue University, is one of the most recognized leaders in the field of computing, an ongoing senior advisor and consultant on issues of security and intelligence, education, cybercrime and computing policy to a number of major companies, law enforcement organizations, academic and government agencies and two Presidents of the United States.
- Rt Hon Baroness Neville-Jones DCMG, UK Special Government Representative to Business for Cyber Security and member of the House of Lords, was previously Minister of State for Security and Counter Terrorism at the British Home Office with a permanent position on the newly created National Security Council; David Cameron’s national security adviser; author of much of the Conservative Party’s national security policy; and patron of ”Cybersecurity Challenge” in the UK.
- Professor Glenn Harlan Reynolds, Professor of Law, University of Tennessee College of Law and Author of “An Army of Davids: How Markets and Technology Empower Ordinary People to Beat Big Media, Big Government, and Other Goliaths.”
The popular CISO Keynote Panel returns, moderated by Julia King, Executive Editor, ComputerWorld with panelists Bill Burns, Director of Information Security, Netflix Inc.; Paul Connelly, Vice President of Information Privacy & Security/CISO, Hospital Corporation of America; and Scott Mackelprang, Chief Security Officer, Asurion.
New this year: “ISSA: Building the Future of the Profession” will preview the Cyber Security Career Lifecycle® an industry-wide initiative spearheaded by ISSA International Board members Candy Alexander and Nils Puhlmann.
This year’s conference offers a rich selection of over 40 keynotes, panel, breakout and discussion forum sessions exploring in-depth the latest challenges and opportunities in cybersecurity such as end-user security, big data security, mobile security, application security, risk management, threats and response, business skills, and laws and regulations.
Notable sessions and speakers include:
- Robert Bigman, President, 2BSecure and Retired Chief Information Security Officer, Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), “Winning the Cyber War on a Budget”
- Caleb Merriman, CISO, BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, “Real-Time Risk Management: Death of the Rainbow”
- Eric Cowperthwaite, System Director, ES & ERM & Chief Information Security Officer, Providence Health & Services, “Predictive Security, Another Meaningless Marketing Term? Or a Real Possibility?”
- Randy V. Sabett, J.D., Counsel, ZwillGen, “The Legal Pros and Cons of Active Cyber Defense”
- Kelley P. Archer, CISSR, Manager, Security Incident Handling Team, UnitedHealth Group, “Identify Theft Prevention: You and Your Employees Are Targets”
- Russ McRee, Director, Security Analytics, Microsoft, “Memory Analysis with Volatility”
- Ray Wagner, Ph.D., Managing Vice President, Gartner Inc., “The Gartner Identity and Access Management Scenario, 2014-2020”
Satellite events also offer expanded education opportunities: ISSA Special Interest Groups (SIGs) for Security Awareness, Women in Security and Healthcare; Chapter Leaders Summit; CISO Executive Forum; and SANS SEC 464Hacker Guard.
In addition, the ISSA 2013 Awards will honor influential leaders who have demonstrated a superior level of expertise, effectiveness, and dedication to the advancement of the cybersecurity profession.
Hall of Fame:
- Michael F. Angelo
- Whitfield Diffie
- Martin Hellman
- Patricia Myers
Volunteers of the Year:
- Lawrence Pingree
- Mark Williams
- Harry Bing-You
- Howard “Skip” Chapman
- Lawrence Pingree
- Ralph Poore
Security Professional of the Year:
- Randy Sabett
Chapters of the Year:
- Capitol of Texas
- South Texas
Organizations of the Year:
- Avaya Government Solutions
Download full agenda: https://www.issa.org/?page=issaconf_home
Register as media: Leslie Kesselring, email@example.com
The Information Systems Security Association (ISSA)® is a not-for-profit organization. It is the community of choice for international cybersecurity professionals and practitioners dedicated to advancing individual growth, managing technology risk, and protecting critical information and infrastructure. Its mission is a commitment to promoting effective cybersecurity on a global basis: serving as a respected forum for networking and collaboration, providing education and knowledge sharing at all career lifecycle stages, and acting as a highly regarded voice of information security that influences public opinion, government legislation, education, and technology with objective expertise that supports sound decision-making.
- Kesselring Communications
- Leslie Kesselring
- +1 503-358-1012