Mr. Schultz is the Technical Director of Cyber Architecture and Advisory Services of the Cyber Unit within the Battelle Memorial Institute, the world’s largest non-profit research and development firm. Mr. Schultz is responsible for the strategic direction of the Architecture and Advisory Services group and leads large teams of information security professionals to design, implement and evaluate the security of large data networks and data sharing applications within the Intelligence Community, Department of Defense and Civilian sectors of the United States Federal government. He received a special commendation by the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) Chief Information Officer’s (CIO) Office for his leadership of the DNI CIO’s Risk Assessment and Risk Management Tiger Team for the Revitalization of Certification & Accreditation (C&A). Over Mr. Schultz’s 20 year career, he has led several information security consulting organizations: Director of Information Assurance Architecture at Nortel Government Solutions, Director of Information Assurance at PEC Solutions and was a Manager within the Arthur Andersen LLP Computer Risk Management Practice. Mr. Schultz is a publicly recognized industry speaker and author. Mr. Schultz has served as an At-Large Director on the ISSA International Board for four years and during his tenure served as the Chairman of the ISSA International Strategic Planning Committee and Co-Chair of the ISSA International Connect Council. He is also an ISSA International Fellow, is on the ISSA International Honor Roll, a two term Past President of the ISSA Northern Virginia Chapter and a Board Member of the (ISC)² Americas Advisory Board. He holds a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) from George Washington University and a Bachelors of Business Administration from James Madison University. Mr. Schultz holds several information security professional certifications: Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Information Systems Security Management Professional (ISSMP), Information Systems Security Architect Professional (ISSAP), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) and NSA-IAM. He is an active member of the National Eagle Scout Association and resides with his wife and four sons in the Washington, DC area.
Statement of Goals
As the past president of the ISSA Northern Virginia Chapter and a past At-Large Director on the ISSA International Board, I have a profound appreciation for the "Grassroots”, "Membership Driven” and "Chapter Strong” organization that is currently ISSA. Truly, nothing within ISSA happens without the hard work and dedication of each of the local Chapter Officers, Board Members, Directors and Volunteers. I salute you for all that you do to make your chapter the best it can be for its members.
While president of the ISSA Northern Virginia Chapter, I lead the Board of Directors to double our chapter membership from 320 to 640 members in two years to become the largest ISSA chapter, tripled the revenue of the chapter to fund more chapter member activities, expanded the Board from 5 to 9 members and modified our chapter by-laws to better serve the membership.
While as a Director At-Large on the ISSA International Board, I worked diligently to achieve similar results at the ISSA International level. I lead, co-lead and supported strategic initiatives to increase member value by the:
- Development of a ISSA International Strategic Plan
- Development of an annual ISSA International Security Conference
- Development of an annual ISSA Chapter Congress – Meeting and training for chapter officers
- Development of a social network for security professionals – ISSA Connect
- Development of a collaboration tool for chapter operations – ISSA Connect
- Development of a "Fellow Program” to recognize excellence in our profession
- Establish robust web hosting for chapters
- Establish child internet safety programs
- Establish chapter officer liability insurance
As a Director At-Large on the Board of ISSA International my goals are to:
- Bring back the printed ISSA International Journal
- Re-vitalize the ISSA International Strategic Plan to double membership
- Invigorate the Sponsorship Program to fund more membership benefits
- Offer cutting edge presentations, training and networking opportunities at the annual "ISSA International Security Conference”
- Formalize direct chapter and member support programs to increase chapter membership growth
Why I want to serve as a Director on the ISSA International Board?
Each ISSA member I have met is passionate about the information security profession and is constantly striving to make it better. I share your passion and want to ensure that ISSA will be"The pre-eminent trusted global information security community.”With your support, I will leverage my business experience in running successful information security organizations to help ISSA International achieve new heights in serving you, our profession and our industry.
Qualifications to be a Director on the Board of ISSA International:
- Technical Director, Cyber Architecture and Advisory Services, Battelle Memorial Institute, world’s largest non-profit research and development (R&D) firm. Leads expert security professionals to provide executive level information security advisory services to agency CIOs, CSOs, CISOs and other strategic policy makers with regards to security policy, emerging security related technologies and enterprise wide security implementation initiatives.
- Director, ISSA International Board of Directors (2007-2009 & 2009-2011 terms)
- Chairperson, Strategic Planning Committee, ISSA International
- Co-Chair, ISSA Connect Council, ISSA International
- Board Member of (ISC)² Americas Advisory Board
- President, ISSA Northern Virginia Chapter, 2006 & 2007
- Led ISSA Northern Virginia Chapter to become ISSA International"Chapter of the Year”, 2007
- Led ISSA Northern Virginia Chapter to nearly double its membership, 2006
- Led ISSA Northern Virginia Chapter to become the largest chapter, 2006
- Led ISSA Northern Virginia Chapter to triple its revenues, 2007
- Chairperson, Audit Committee, ISSA Northern Virginia Chapter, 2005
- Elections Reform Committee, ISSA Northern Virginia Chapter, 2005
- Recognition and Awards Committee, ISSA Northern Virginia Chapter, 2005
- ISSA Fellow
- ISSA Honor Roll
- Active ISSA Member since 2000
Back to Candidates
This information provided by candidate who is solely responsible for the